Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Passion Revisited

I have always loved cricket. I played a lot too, when I was younger. Now that I am twenty seven, and professionally engaged for most part of the week, I rarely get the time to play the game. Instead, I sometimes find time to watch a match or two.

Recently, a jazz team from America performed in our college. The students as well as teachers were very excited about the concert. It was surely going to be the experience of a lifetime, we said to each other. On the day of the programme, at the notified time, all the teachers and students went to the auditorium. Now, our college shares its campus with a school that is run by the same trust. So we have one big auditorium in the school building, where programmes of both the institutions are held from time to time. Just outside the auditorium is the play ground of the school. This ground is clearly visible from the window of our college’s staff room, and I often spend hours enjoying watching the kids of the school play cricket. How I wish at times to run out of our building and join them!

On the day of the jazz concert when I reached the auditorium, I found that the programme was yet to begin. Although my students requested me to take my seat, I chose to walk out and headed towards the play ground where around fifteen teenagers were playing cricket, under the watchful supervision of their sports instructor. The instructor was seated some furlongs away from the seat of action, and on seeing me walking towards him he rose from his chair and welcomed me to the field. Another chair was brought, and I sat beside him and we began chatting about various things. My mind kept slipping away from our conversation to the game on the field. After a few minutes he noticed this and asked me if I was interested in the game. I told him that I have never gone to any stadium to watch a game of cricket live because I have always thought that I would not be able to control myself and perhaps jump on to the field to play, and get arrested by the police. Hearing this, the instructor smiled and asked whether I would like to join the kids on the ground. I said I would love to, provided they are not told that I am a teacher at the college, because if they are, they would not be comfortable playing with me.

After about five years I played cricket intensely for two hours that day. It was a wonderful experience, playing with those energetic and enthusiastic young kids and matching up to their performances. I was surprised to discover that I had not lost my skills, despite such a long gap. Even the kids were surprised by my performance, and kept asking whether I was on any good team somewhere. Every time I bowled one of them out, the others would come running towards me and jump on me, hug me, or pat me. All this brought back my childhood days, when I played cricket every day, and enjoyed such admiration and adulation from my team mates.

I missed the jazz performance that day, but I gained something that would stay for a long time with me. As we grow up, life sucks us into its complicated and uncontrollable whirlpools, and our unadulterated and innocent childhood gets sealed in a coffin, and we forget all about the most beautiful part of our existence. When the kids were finally told that I am a professor at the college, they were very ashamed of their spontaneous actions on the field; perhaps they were a little frightened too, but I told them that I did not want them to know that I am a teacher because otherwise we would not have had so much fun together for those two hours. On that day I made friends with some wonderfully bright and sporting kids, and my favourite game again played a catalyst in the process.

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the experience and commentary. Keep it up, bhagney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mamu and Chandrima! Your feedback would help me to write more and write better. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tryst with the school kids took me down memory lane where I could see myself hitting plastic/ paper-plastic balls with a piece of wood which can be distantly called a bat. It was shaped straight as an arrow ( a more remote version than the ‘Lagaan’ type) and explains why I learnt the straight drive so well! That wooden piece could never imagine that it had such diversified applications... from being used as a door bolt... to a cricket bat to an effective hitting instrument for an utterly frustrated and anguished mom, to teach her children a lesson or two (It hurts! Trust me!). I can bet, even Sachin Tendulkar's bat did less work than mine.

    Just like you, cricket has been and still remains a passion for me. However, you being a male teacher could walk up to the Trainer and take a few shots, bowl a few overs and enjoy the madness the game involves, which I, in this gender-biased society would not dare in fear of drawing flaks from all corners....In fact, I can already see the horrified, scandalized faces peeping out of our staff room window to see me play cricket...The game is still essentially a men's sport in India... if not, then at MCKV it is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice of you to share your experience.i enjoyed reading your previous reflection on hockey too.i'm neither a sportsperson nor i understand sports more than the newspaper reports, but i know how gifted a sportsperson is: (s)he entertains thousands and him/herself.. to realize the faith of the audience in you is a self-revelation and source of strength itself.. your students are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. U could have also told me,, I would also had joined u........ U knw i am also missing cricket bcoz of my back pain,, god knows when it will be ok...........

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice. makes one nostalgic. by the way, I loved the sachin vs mamata article. That's very good thinking. um...i am hardly qualified to comment on your work, however, this one seems a little to descriptive. Take this for example, "I said I would love to, provided they are not told that I am a teacher at the college, because if they are, they would not be comfortable playing with me." Had you left it at " that I am a teacher at the college", the reader could have imagined the rest and smiled knowingly to himself. The redundancy, in my humble opinion, takes away from the reading pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As i have spent 24years of my life with you i know very well actually how mad you are about cricket.It really made me nostalgic.I remember how i use to call you, shout at u from the verandah of our house each evening but you wont come back home.Parents used to get so angry with you as you always neglected studies coz of your cricket.I remember,how we played cricket inside our house and mom use to shout out of irritation and fear of breaking something with our bat and ball.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post!

    You should play with the kids everyday! Tongues will wag and people will say that there's this tall, crazy college teacher who is so mad about the game that he plays with school kids too. But why give a damn?

    : )

    We're loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes in life when we don't give a damn to what others think about our actions, do we enjoy ourselves the most!!Sir, I wish I got a chance to play with you and the kids that day...the jazz concert was so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me see, come on Asish da challenge me:-)

    ReplyDelete